Search This Blog

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Reminiscing over the past few months

 

Shot on Goal Practice
 We heard that many of you on the east coast(US) had snow and temps in the 30's at the end of October-- Julie even got to see it snowing via skype. And since then you have had only mild temperatures.  At the same time you were having 37* there, and a load of wet snow, we were having 37* and 38* temps here in Mali, too. The difference is that here that translates “HOT!!”, because we are talking 37* Celsius, not Farenfeit! Our weather has been hot and dry for a while now, with the prospect of more of the same until the rains come in May.  That is a LOT of hot and dry, and our heels and lips are needing extra attention. Experienced persons have warned us that we will need to work to keep ourselves hydrated and moisturized thru this next few months. (Our Malian friends already knew that, by the way.  We have seen them regularly applying shea butter cream to the face and arms of their little ones after baths. I expect they apply the cream to adults too, we just don't see that.)

Just now one of the boys called up to my window, “Mimi!”...” Mimi!”...“Ji suma?”(Cold water? -literally 'shaded water':))  One of the things that we have been able to do is to give the boys cold water,and even ice from time to time.  We wash and refill coke bottles half full of water, then freeze them in our apt refrigerator, before handing them out to be filled and filled again, til the ice is all gone. I've been training them to take care of and return the bottles so that they can have ice again.  (Most of them are getting it.) Cold water is a treat for them — and us!  Depending on the time of day, the water comes out of the faucet at 80-110*F/27-37*C, a nice temperature for washing dishes.  Its good clean water, and we are all thankful to have it so available, but having it chilled is also nice. YEAH for SOLAR POWER! Another thing for which to be thankful.

I could write a whole blog on what is in my fridge or freezer. Our refrigerator freezer has a kilo bag of 'farine ble''(wheat flour) in it right now, some cubes of 'lembuurukumunin'juice(little-sour-lemon),as well as some whole limes,  some 'misi-sogo'(beef)patties, a baggie of chopped 'foronto'(super hot chili pepper)and the ice bottles. The flour needs to be kept in the freezer to keep it from getting buggy (not at all nice to discover when you are beginning to make pancakes in the morning). I have sifted out the bugs and used the flour anyway. (I have NOT yet reached the veteran missionary stage of just using it bugs and all--”extra protein”. :)) The limes are an experiment to see if they freeze well, since I have discovered that what is in plenteous supply at the market this week may disappear and no longer be available next week.  We love to put a little fresh lime juice in a bottle of water as a refresher, so I'll stockpile some if they freeze well. 

The beef was purchased off the freshly butchered hind quarter hanging in the market Friday morning, and then ground into hamburger at my kitchen table.  That way we know what goes in it, and that it is fresh. The ground meat I purchased at the supermarket tasted too much of liver- and maybe other unsavories to my way of thinking!  I purchased the foronto this summer for a lovely red sweet pepper.  I had only seen tiny little foronto, and rather small green sweet peppers at the market, so was excited to see some red sweet peppers(I thought).  I had already learned the 'if you see it today, buy it, because it may not be there tomorrow' rule, so I bought 2 nice big ones. When I got home I proceeded to clean my purchases, wash everything in clorox that we might pop into our mouths uncooked, and sliced up the peppers for a snack. Imagine my surprise to bite into a sliver of 'sweet pepper' only to get bitten back by the heat.  My hands were a little slower to respond, but then burned for 2 days.  Hence, frozen, chopped foronto that we use a snippet at a time.  Thanks be to God for good water to drink- we had no refrigerator yet at that point, so it was not chilled but still appreciated.

Sometimes there is a Tupperware container of cookies there, or a second loaf of banana bread.  When you are heating the oven you want to maximize what you get out of adding all that heat to the kitchen and living areas, and bananas are always available. We have had them as a regular part of diet to supplement rice and rice!

 Unrelated:  here are 2 short tidbits that I thought you might like, copied from a friend's post to me some time back.
For all you single guys and gals: 
'A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man should have to seek Him first to find her.'
For us all:
When I say 'I am a Christian', I am not shouting 'I am clean living!'. I'm whispering, 'I was lost, but now I'm found and forgiven.'”
Be Blessed and be a blessing to those around you today.

MiminMali
Julie & Heather Riddle do Bible Story


 Heather Riddle & Julie Heisey






No comments:

Post a Comment