Search This Blog

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Preaching in 3 Languages



Saturday was a full day. After market in the morning,(see Soggy Sougula) there is need for washing and putting away the produce.  THat is more of a chore here than at home, because of the need to sanitize things before they are eaten, either by using bleach water wash or by thorough cooking.  Add to that the reality that our electricity is not constant, so refrigeration cannot be counted on, and many foods must be shopped for daily and then cooked and consumed the same day.  (Thank you God for the abundance that we have so taken for granted.)

Then, while Ray and Julie played Skippo,  I sat down to finish preparing for the afternoon service, where I was bringing the message.  It is not the first time that I have "preached", but it is the first time that I have been translated into 2 other languages.  I saw that  in India with Pastor Samson,  but I was only speaking a few words of greeting there.
Service started only a few people there, with Paul Traore enthusiastically leading the congregation in worship songs. IT gets quite energetic! (I'll try to download a short video.) Drums pounded out a rythym and more came in thru the gates that were opened on both sides of our base. Soon 25 or 30 children gathered at the doorways, in addition to the couple of dozen people inside. Some of the children moved in and sat on benches, others stayed just outside. At one point the guard had to shoe' a curious donkey from the yard. Perhaps he was curious about all the ladies in their lovely colors.  THey do look beautiful!

I spoke to the people about the God that we know-- Totally Trustworthy and Reliable. Claudia first translated into French, then Paul took it into Bambara, which is the language of most of the people here. I was told afterword that the message wasn't very long, but it was good.  Many of the children left when the music stopped, and about a 1/3 of the adults had fallen asleep by the time we finished. I figured it was long enough! I also learned that the pastor is to greet each one who comes up with a "God Bless you". So I got it in Bambara and was able to repeat it a number of times, but I am afraid that the phrase did not stay in my brain by days end.
-- Please pray that memory will be supernaturally recharged and "sticky"  I need new language phrases to stick better than they have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment